Friday, January 14, 2011

My Overall Easiest Subject

Probably not as passionately, but math is also one of my favorite subjects. It may have been the fact that the answers are so direct, or that my past teachers could teach it very well, but I have always had a strong sense of mathematics, ever since sixth grade. At that time, I was doing extremely poorly in math, barely holding up a D. But then, after one parent teacher conference, I realized that had to change. I spent all my free time trying to make up my work and studying for test, and before I knew it, I ended the year with a solid B. It was that very day that I told myself, “If I applied myself like this for 2 months, and bumped my grade up 2 grades, then what could I could I accomplish if I had just done this from the beginning”. After that day, I never struggled with math, whether it’s Algebra, or Geometry, because if I was stuck, I just had to try harder, and I would get through it.
The reason why Math doesn’t threaten me is because of my logic. As a child, I always tried to view life in a fair and just manner, because fair is the only logical way of life. In my head, everything always had to be symmetrical or follow a pattern. And around the time that I figured this out, I was enrolled into the GATE program, but for some reason, I was never taught with the GATE system. And with that said, I can state that my strengths in math are my logical reasoning, since math is essentially, a numbers game.
So as long as I don’t over think my answers, I should have no problems learning the materials. In current times, I can grasp information very quickly, as long as I understand why. Teachers in the past who have taught in this way are some of my favorite teachers. They helped me learn my materials quickly and didn’t need to micro manage me. In other words, the best way to teach me the information is to teach me why. This stimulates my brain to remember the information, and if I forget, I have yet another method to remind me what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment