Friday, October 29, 2010

Reflective Essay - First Quarter

Throughout the quarter, I feel that my writing abilities have improved. This is probably due to the freedom from the prompts, yet the requirement of consistent posting. In the past, I always had trouble following a prompt that included a rubric and word length/ limit. However, I also had difficulty with motivation to put effort into the essay. But being able to the have almost no limits to my writing, but being motivated enough to put in effort, has given me a drive that, I feel, has enhanced my writing capabilities. And throughout this class, my writing has improved by illustrating a more vivid picture to my readers (comparing Who's your Daddy? to Prologue).

In my previous English class, we were provided prompts and a rubric. In most cases this would make the essay easy to write; you just had to stay on topic and check off the requirements you meet. But in my case, I always try to stay creative in my writing. I try to splash in my own style whenever I can. In some of my earlier writing this school year, I was able to express what I felt, which gave my writing a personal feel. In one piece, I stated:
“During my earlier years as an obnoxious elementary student, I strived to make an appeal  to as many people as possible, whether they are different in terms of age, thought, or sex. This was partly due to my personality, but mostly from my father’s horror stories where if you didn’t fit in, you would be left behind.”
And I’m sure that college professors will allow that. Yet my previous writing teachers insisted on following their rules word for word. And I’m just not that type of person. I need prompts that are challenging enough to require thought, yet generic enough for me to bend in my style.

With blogs and posting, I am able to achieve the required writing needs and express my personal touch to my writing. Because blogs can be more informal, I feel more comfortable with writing what I actually think about an issue, instead of putting down what gets me the right grade. And because I am able to do so in this class, I have gotten used to the process that a rough draft just has to be what you want to say, not how you want to say it.

In comparison to my English 9 class, I have much more freedom in my writing. Last year, I was stuck trying to figure out what the teacher wanted me to figure out. But in this class, even outside of blogging, I am able to make my own analysis. And this really helps me when I am assigned to address a personal topic. For example, in my post about the ASTI Constitution, I wrote:
“Whether an insult is just playful, or intentional, they will always hurt. Yet most have given up and just decided to play along. And when the time came to write up the ASTI constitution, the majority didn't want to give up the joking insults that were tossed around day after day. The student body wasn't dedicated to the constitution. With the guidelines just made to impress the staff, the students simply thought of it as a homework assignment rather than a set of rules.”
As I was part of making the constitution, I am also responsible for this, and I knew it. But because I feel safe and free in the environment the blogs have provided, I was able to state it, risking any consequences. Writing is a very formal task for me. Everything I have ever written had a formal tone to it. And I have always separated professionalism from personalization. Yet when I post, I feel free the write what I actually think. and that is my style of writing.

And even when I’m not blogging, and I’m doing a quickwrite, I feel that I improve. Due to the time restraint, I have to get my ideas down in ten minutes, giving me no time for detail. And without detail, I can easily look at my writing and find its flaws. In addition, writing quickly doesn’t give me a chance to think what information to put in or out, making looking back easier because I know exactly what I was thinking.

Another difficulty I faced in writing lies in my means of motivation. Simply put, I’m unable to write when there’s no point. Sure, my grade gets better, but academics have been long removed from my motivations for life - its more like a stepping stone now. But when I post my writing on the internet, people see it. And each comment I get, whether its positive or not, I get excited just to know that someone read my post. And that’s enough motivation for me to keep posting.Also, without motivation, I don’t have the purpose I need to write. Without my drive, my essays usually turn out weak or unpolished. However, with getting feedback much more often, I feel much more driven and inspired to write.

My writing, as with most people, is at its best when I am motivated, free, and challenged. With the prompts made with so much effort, the gray area for the topic so wide, and the feedback so often, I’m able to maintain what I need to keep my drive for writing. As a result of the constant writing, I feel my capabilities as a writer have improved too. I am now able to establish more reliable ethos, connective pathos, and thoughtful logos. Over the course of the first quarter, I have improve in my ability to illustrate an image to my audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment